The Black Women In Radio (BWIR) Ultimate Internship Experience Program offers students a unique experience to expand their interest in multimedia. Undergraduates receive valuable guidance, and practical skills experience to support career success as multiplatform audio, and video producers, writers, editors, graphic designers, photographers, researchers, hosts, reporters, business, or marketing managers.
Students must receive approval from college administrator, or career advisor before the internship application process is complete. Begin the process today. Email Felèsha Love at feleshalove@blackwomeninradio to request an application. #internship #college #media
By Angela Greene
It is June in the U.S.A., which is especially significant for those in radio, particularly Black radio because it is Black Music Month. Exactly 43 years ago, President Jimmy Carter issued a decree on June 7, 1979, to honor the contributions of Black musicians. The now defunct Black Music Association, which was led by Kenny Gamble, Ed Wright, and Dyana Williams worked to get the first Black music event at the White House in 1979.Read More
What message are you sending? When you step into a room or pitch an idea what does your Brand say about you?
Breathe life into your image, product or service.
WHO WILL BENEFIT: Leaders, media creatives, and entrepreneurs.
WHAT TO EXPECT: Learn what’s standing between you and your money. Walk away with tools you can use immediately toward launching an impactful presence that makes other people want to do business with you or promote you or hire and partner with you.
WHEN: Thursday, July 29th and Thursday, September 30th for 3-Days from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM EST.
HOW TO ENROLL: Register and make payment below. You will receive confirmation within 24 hours of purchase.
FLEXIBLE PRICE POINTS: OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
- VIP Experience $149
- General Experience $49
General admission is free for BWIR Members or upgrade to VIP for only $49.Read More
You may be familiar with her loud contagious laugh, or even with her luminous smile which you can often “see through the radio” as many would say. Keisha Nicole, started her career at legendary KDAY in her hometown of Los Angeles. There she blazed the Saturday Night Live show. As she continued to grow an exuberant and prosperous work ethic, she quickly made it known that she was taking over. Moving from weekends to prime time over the next few years, Keisha Nicole has become one of the most recognized voices on radio air waves in the mid-west. Moving from the Mid-West to Houston, Keisha brings that same energy, lifestyle and excitement to middays in H-Town with 97.9 The Box as one of the host for Good Morning H-Town 5a-10a as well as middays with Keisha Nicole. Keisha stands for the empowerment of young women and through her mentorship she believes that, “this is only the beginning, God has given me a voice and position to inspire and lead the next generation every day and I will continue to do so. It’s a dream come true for Keisha. From intern/receptionist at a radio station to now taking over the airwaves in one of the top markets in the country.
- LEARN MORE ABOUT THE MEDIA INDUSTRY
- LEARN HOW TO IMPROVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- FIND OUT WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE IT IN THE BUSINESS
- SEE HOW MEDIA PROFESSIONALS NAVIGATE THE HIGHS AND LOWS OF BUSINESS AND CAREER
- LEARN HOW TO CREATE PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIPS TO IMPROVE SUCCESS
Meet some of the BWIR workshop instructors
- The vivacious radio and TV personality has become a household name in Chicago after rocking the airwaves for nearly 20 years.
- Bioncé Foxx hosted the “Foxx on the Box Show” at iHeartMedia’s 107.5 WGCI, and gained international fame after the show aired on the island of Bermuda and throughout the Cayman Islands.
- “The Bioncé FoxXperience” is home to Chicago’s V103 and can also be heard in more than 20 markets across the country. She also hosts weekend shows on V100.7 in Milwaukee.
- Foxx is a Lead instructor for radio broadcasting programs throughout Chicagoland including one at Chicago State University where she also produced a radio show on the school’s radio station.
- Indianapolis radio talent of 13 years Donna Schiele works at Atlanta’s Classix 102.9 and hosts the “H.E.Y. Girl!” podcast.
- National voice over talent also produces commemorative graduation videos.
- Donna is a K-8 educator who became an assistant principal and received “Teacher of the Year,” twice during her 20 year career in education.
- Fel’esha Love was co-host for five Atlanta Morning Shows and received several community awards from both the Atlanta Mayor’s office and Georgia Governor’s office during her 30 year career.
- A former Spelman College professor and Rockdale Public School teacher, Love facilitates Leadership and Best Business Practices workshops for business, organizations and institutions.
- As founder of BWIR, Love connects thousands of minority women from multi-generations to celebrate their professional contributions to radio culture on a global platform.
- She developed MySpiritFitness Management Group, LLC to produce positive creative content for multimedia platforms. (The BWIR Podcast, “Her Digital Universe” TV Show, The Two-Minute Manager Shows, and the MySpiritFitness Wellness Moment Shows.)
- First Lady is perhaps one of the most versatile women in radio. Working in multiple areas of the radio industry from New York, Chicago, Indianapolis and The UK.
- First Female mixers on urban radio – WGCI-FM Chicago 1986
- Program Director/ Midday Talent/ DJ(mixer) – The FM Omni Channel 95.1 Chicago Digital Station
- International Programming Consultant & Mixer – London based stations SG-1Radio, SG-1 Soul and SG-1House
- Ranked #17 Top Black Women In Media (Radio Facts 2006)
- 2006 Billboard Radio Large Market APD/MD Programmer of the Year
- 2010 Stellar Large Market Gospel Station of the Year
- 2010 GMA Station of the Year
- National Black Radio Hall of Fame – Chicago Chapter President
- Black Women In Radio – Executive Liaison & Executive Board Member
- Inducted into the Frankie Knuckles DJ Hall of Fame Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
- Kesha Monk has been wowing people with her voice for over 25 years.
- She has recorded projects for global brands such as Mcdonalds, Dreamworks, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, Coca Cola, Chick Fil A, Dunkin Donuts and more.
- She is the promo voice for Queen Sugar on the Oprah Winfrey Network and the live announcer for the Soul Train Award which airs on BET.
- Angela Greene is one of the most powerful writers in modern history.
- A former Gwinnett County Public School high school teacher, Greene represented herself through four jurisdictions in a civil rights case with no legal education or training.
- Her book, Unnecessary Roughness is archived in the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
- Greene recently wrote the original brief in a school-to-prison pipeline case that was won on appeal in Gwinnett County.
- The 30-year broadcast veteran is Black Women In Radio Board Member and Director of Public Affairs and Media Relations.
- Greene is the creator, writer, and host of Jazz Flavors on WPGN Radio Atlanta
Black Women In Radio is launching their first summer program to empower youth across America this summer. Youth organizers can register a groups between the ages of 14 -24 for this media-centered workshop.
The registration deadline is June 15. Register here
Black Women In Radio is committed to being a dependable resource to empower women and communities. BWIR Founder Fel’esha Love, a former Spelman College faculty member, recently organized a group of educators with dual careers as professional broadcasters to create this unique opportunity for youth and young adults.Read More
Ashmac is a radio personality and host with a background in marketing, promotions and production. Ashley first explored her passion for the music industry as an intern for Universal Motown Records in New York City. She graduated from Norfolk State University with a BA in Music Media emphasis in Communications. Her radio career began on Norfolk State University’s WNSB Hot91 as an intern in 2011. She then worked her way up to iHeart Media rising from Production Assistant to Promotions Coordinator for 103 JAMZ and on-air talent for KISS92 from 2012-2014. In 2015, she became the Assistant Program Director and on-air talent for WNSB HOT91, where she won awards such as Most Supportive Radio Station in Hampton Roads, Employee of the month consecutively, amongst others. Ashmac currently resides in Cincinnati, OH as on-air midday personality, from 10-3p, and is currently Cincinnati’s #1 Urban midday show on 101.1 The Wiz. She can also be heard in Columbus, OH on Power 1075/106 and Indianapolis, IN’s #1 Station for Hip-Hop and R&B, Hot963. She’s been featured as a host on BET’s College Tour, the Hampton’s Jazz Festival, the Nationally syndicated Rickey Smiley Morning Show and as a media correspondent for Cincinnati’s FOX19.